There was supposed to be someone from my hostel with a sign with my name to pick me up. I couldn't find the guy and there were a lot of people offering rides and accommodation. Then a man waiting for someone else asked me what I was looking for and offered to call the hostel when I told him. I was very suspicious. I was quite convinced that he at least wanted money for helping me. Anyway, he reached the hostel and told me they're going to call the guy who was supposed to pick me up. At the same time I finally saw a sign with my name on it. I quickly thanked the guy for the help and left. When I got to my driver his phone rang and they were actually calling him from the hostel. I felt quite stupid for doubting the man and was annoyed how these prejudices and preconceived ideas we get from the media for example can make us so suspicious that it's difficult for us (or for me) to believe someone could be truly just trying to help you.
At the hostel I was asking the owner about what do for one evening in the city. His answer wasn't really inspiring. Apparently I had to take a taxi to the bus stop of the tourist bus going around the city. Walking the couple of kilometers shouldn't be considered and I could only walk 3-4 traffic lights to the direction of the city center.Taking a taxi to the bus station the next day was also necessary. I knew the city was supposed to be unsafe but to extent of it really surprised me. It's difficult to understand how it's come to that.
| Me with one of the dogs at the hostel |
Johannesburg really didn't seem like a tourist destination. There were only two other people staying in the hostel. Both were just passing through. The other one was an Aussie (of course) and the Japanese guy was interesting in that he spoke Spanish better than English and was going to travel for a year. I don't think that happens often with Japanese people. So in the end, I didn't do anything in the city and just cooked some dinner.
The next morning I took the bus to Maputo. The bus drive went without problems and I arrived to Maputo in the evening only 1.5 hours late :) Dennis from ASSCODECHA was there to pick me up and took me to the apartment of a Finnish woman Minna and her son Rasmus where I've been living since. It's only temporary though and I need to find another place. During the bus ride I had some interesting discussions. There was an American med student couple spending their untypically long four-week vacation in Mozambique and Malawi. Then there was a South African man who first insisted on talking Afrikaans to me. Finally he switched to English which he seemed to know well but when I spoke to him he didn't seem to understand anything or at least he didn't react in any way. I guess he just liked talking. Another South African was on his way to join his family on the Inhaca island. He took my number and said next time his friends are going there they could call me and ask me to join. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.
Here's one more incident I wanted to share. When I was looking for my bus in the bus station some guy insisted on carrying one of my bags and taking me to the right desk. Again I felt my suspisions rising. He could have easily run off with my suitcase and I couldn't have done anything with my three other bags. Again, he didn't but he was strongly asking for money. Every time I gave him a bill he had the same face on that it's not enough. I gave him three 10 rand bills and still he wanted more. It's not a lot but I think it was more than his 3 minutes were worth especially since he took me directly to the bus and I had to return to the desk to get stickers for my bags.
I'll try and copy the idea of my friend and fellow ETVO volunteer Riku by sharing with you some local music I've encountered but first I once more take this opportunity promote this band which I think is one of the most inspiring in the Finnish music industry at the moment :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyuKBxs3A3w
And I think this was the first song I heard on African soil and it's been playing everywhere in here as well. I believe the artist is Mozambican.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGaj8kcd7bM
Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti